The racetrack opened in 1953 with harness racing; the hotel and casino expansion opened in 2006. Live harness racing runs from April through November.
Vernon Downs is owned by Jeff Gural, also owner of Tioga Downs Racetrack. The property includes a smoke-free hotel and RV park. The casino has now 767 slot machines with denominations of a penny to $5. It also offers live music — regular bands on weekends, and larger concerts. The bar at Ring Eyed Pete’s is the spot for live music on Fri. and Sat.
There are two simulcasting facilities — one in the hotel, one at the racetrack — with huge movie-sized screens showing the top tracks in racing, private tables and carrels with LCD TVs, and food and cocktail service. Simulcasting is available 7 days a week.
Hotel has an indoor pool and whirlpool, fitness center.
Dining includes Mr. G’s Food & Spirits, Triple 777 Cafe, Champions Buffet, Gold Cup Buffet, Miracle Mile Restaurant, Trackside concessions.